Sunday night as we were gmail chatting with our little granddaughter and her parents, Mitch dropped by to visit them. He said he happened to be in the area. He lives in Orem and they live in south Provo. This morning I woke up thinking about him dropping in on them like that and I have to say, it warmed the cockles of my heart. Yes it did. Mitch is not technically related to us. He's a brother to our other daughter-in-law who lives in Georgia.
I've had some thoughts over the past few years about this interconnectedness that arises when children marry. A few months ago the thought popped into my head of how fortunate I am to have three new girlfriends, Rosa, Cheryl and Julie, the mothers-in-law to our three married children. As I've witnessed the love these three women have for our children, I've felt such gratitude that I have other good and concerned mothers sincerely investing time, prayers and love in the futures of these new families. They are good, strong and wise women--wise especially as to the things of the heart--and I trust them with our children. Whether they know it or not, they have helped me through a few rough times already and I feel an eternal kinship with these women who not long ago were unknown to me.
I know the scope of this interconnectedness is vast and includes the whole human family but that's not so much what I'm thinking about today. So many experiences, in and out of actual family ties, give me glimpses into what I am anticipating heaven to be.
I am hoping there will be no more yours, mine and ours--just ours. And in that case, Mitch is ours.
I've had some thoughts over the past few years about this interconnectedness that arises when children marry. A few months ago the thought popped into my head of how fortunate I am to have three new girlfriends, Rosa, Cheryl and Julie, the mothers-in-law to our three married children. As I've witnessed the love these three women have for our children, I've felt such gratitude that I have other good and concerned mothers sincerely investing time, prayers and love in the futures of these new families. They are good, strong and wise women--wise especially as to the things of the heart--and I trust them with our children. Whether they know it or not, they have helped me through a few rough times already and I feel an eternal kinship with these women who not long ago were unknown to me.
I know the scope of this interconnectedness is vast and includes the whole human family but that's not so much what I'm thinking about today. So many experiences, in and out of actual family ties, give me glimpses into what I am anticipating heaven to be.
I am hoping there will be no more yours, mine and ours--just ours. And in that case, Mitch is ours.
Interconnectedness. I like it.
5 comments:
I LOVE that!I have a huge *smile* on my face from reading.
So true! I think it's wonderful. We sure have a loving Heavenly Father who knows what he's doing, right?!
Well said. I've felt the interconnectedness, too, and am grateful for a certain Charlotte and a certain Julie.
That was really sweet, Mom. You're so wise. I'm so happy you're my mom and I'm really glad I finally have sisters. And such awesome ones at that. I've got some great in-laws all around. I think I'll keep 'em :)
I am such a softie. This brought tears to my eyes this morning as I too feel this interconnectedness with you, Jamar, Linda and Ruth and with all of our combined families. I felt an overwhelming joy when precious Mia was born and Mikey had a beautiful new cousin to love. Thank you for loving our son and raising a beautiful daughter for us whom we cherish!
Thank you for being YOU!:)
Post a Comment