I'm finding that it is a bit of a strange sensation to lose a parent. My dad died yesterday. He has been living with Alzheimers for a few hears and went downhill pretty rapidly in the past few weeks. I'm in the Oakland airport on my way to Washington to help with arrangements and to spend some time with Mom.
Sometimes I cry and sometimes I'm perfectly fine. I've been living away from Mom and Dad for a long time but I think it is going to be really strange to walk into my childhood home later today and not have him there. And he's not just a phone call away anymore.
The up side of times like these is that it can be a very spiritual experience and it is almost always a nice reunion with family and friends. All of my siblings are coming, of course, and many of Mom's grandchildren are making arrangements too. It will be great to see everyone again.
My Mom is an amazing woman. She will be fine and is doing well right now. She has a strong spirit, her health is good and she has a positive attitude about everything. I could stand to take a few pages out of her book.
Dad gave us a lot of good times as our dad. He took us on a lot of family vacations when we were growing up. He taught us how to play cards. I remember pitching pennies once while we were waiting for Lagoon to open. He taught us how to golf. He always made Christmas really fun even when we came to visit as adults. I remember once on Christmas after Greg and I and the kids had gone to bed, I heard Dad walking down the hall carrying jingle bells to give us the feeling that Santa was in the house. He was always very involved and loved making it special for us.
I remember him paying me when I memorized my multiplication tables. Once he even paid me a nickel a fly to go out on the carport of our Arizona house and kill flies. In hindsight, he was probably trying to keep me busy and out of his hair. Good plan.
I remember him lecturing me sometimes as a teenager and then afterwards giving me a hug and slipping me a 20 dollar bill. I liked his way of "showing forth afterwards an increase of love".
I remember back in the more lawless days, he would put me on his lap and let me drive the car home. That was awesome! No seatbelts or carseats required.
I remember him calling me "Deac" when I turned 12 years old because I was his 4th daughter and I guess he was anxious for a priesthood holder. I was a little bit tomboyish too probably because I remember watching football games with him on tv.
I also remember that we ate Mom's rice pudding together. And we both liked to drink the leftover pumpkin pie filling after the pies were filled. I pretty much idolized him when I was growing up.
I remember him always carrying candy in his suit pocket at church--he loved jordan almonds. Maybe that's why I always have something in my purse at church--mostly chocolate covered raisins.
I remember how our kids could touch one of his knees and that would turn on "the monster" and then they could touch the other knee to turn it off--if they could get to it while the monster was alive.
There are many more memories but I'm about to board a plane. If I could have spoken to him before he left this life, I would have told him how much I love him and asked him to please say hi to Ceri (my sister), Devin (my son) and Alex (my nephew). What a reunion they will have.
And so will we someday. Love you, Dad.
11 comments:
I love this post! Thanks for the update on how Grandma is holding up.
I love the candy in the pockets at church. I definitely remember that as well!! And the MONSTER!! OHHH so scary! :)
When you get to WA, will you or mom give me call. I hear something about riding with Jamie, or Abby, but I need to know when and all the details. My work is needing to know when they can schedule me. Thanks! Love you Shawnie!
I wish I could make it up for the services, but I'm sending my son (somewhat) in my stead. Thanks for the post. This reminds me of when my grandma passed away from alzheimers a couple of years ago. I just wish I could have had time getting to know him before his condition.
What a beautiful way to show love and appreciation for your father, I am so sorry for your loss. I know that having a knowledge of the true gospel helps. Be safe and laugh about the good times while you're with your family to celebrate the life of a wonderful person.
Shawn, what a beautiful tribute to your father. He sounds like a fun dad! What great memories you have. Hope you have a safe trip, feel peace and love at this time, and enjoy the memories and being with family this weekend. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
I had forgotten some of those things, like the candy in Dad's pockets. The candies I remember were those pink lozenge ones. Pure sugar. I still love those! Sweet post.
Shawn, What a beautiful post. I am sorry that you have lost your Father, because no matter what it is difficult for all of us when it happens. You are a strong beautiful woman and a great legacy to your Dad. May you have peace as you go through this time in your life with your family and may you feel the love of friends and family and feel supported. Love you.
Thanks for sharing your great memories of your dad. It's always great to remember all the great moments that have touched our lives. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sad our mortal lives have lost another great one. I'm greatful for him for raising such a wonderful daughter (well, more than one, but you're the one I know).
I was sad to hear your dad had passed from this life. It still is hard ...no matter the circumstances or age of a loved one. It was a lovely tribute of your dad and your memories made me smile.
I enjoyed learning more about his life and then Jamie told us a lot of her memories about him and your mom. She has so many fond memories of them both. They be very special people.
May you feel the peace and comfort that comes when the veil is so close, while preparing for his funeral and helping your mom.
You are all in our prayers. ~♥
I don’t know if you meant for your picture to have a symbolic meaning but as I read your blog and how you said your dad went down hill, I saw your picture in a different light. It has trees that are young and vibrant, some that are more mature, some that are showing the autumn colors and some that have passed on. All of the trees are growing on a hill against a relentless downward slope. Generations present remember generations past that fought the good fight and have left a lasting impression and have opened the way for more of God’s light to reach them and nourish their spirits--just as your dad did.
Thank you for your sweet insight about your dad. I hope you are enjoying the time with your mom and other family. Love you!
Hi--I am so sorry for your loss. I love my Dad too, your words are so sweet and meaningful. Thanks for letting us in on what you are feeling. Life is more rich when we share.
Post a Comment