I recently drove through your fine states in connection with the burial of my dad and I have a few things to say to each of you. Idaho, let’s take you first. You have the most amazing rest area restrooms I have ever had the privilege of experiencing. For a split second I had to remind myself that I was not in the ladies’ room at Nordstrom. Please inform your other 49 friends that it can be done. Nice tile floors, solid surface countertops, large stalls, warm water to wash with, clean, etc. I half expected an attendant to hand me a warm towel to dry my hands with after I washed. Good job.
On a bit of a negative note, however, you have a wind problem. Being a larger woman came in handy as I swerved and swayed my way from the hotel room to the car in the gale force winds. Thank goodness we didn’t let grandma walk to the car by herself or we may never have seen her again.
Back to the positive. Your people did a great job on the military burial they gave my dad. It was so touching with the gun salute, the flag, the bugler, the chaplain’s prayer, etc. Thanks so much for that.
Now, Oregon, listen up. Interstate 84 is a really nice freeway so I am very puzzled about the 65 mph speed limit. Please call Nevada and find out how you can increase it to 70 or 75. You may have been the reason we were 45 minutes late for dad’s graveside service and everyone had to stand around (in the wind) waiting for us. It could have been the fact that we lost an hour with the time change but I think your speed limit played a part as well. Please look into that, will you?
I will, however, cut you some slack for the following reasons:
--I was born in you
--you have some pretty scenery
--you have your Dairy Queens well marked and easy to find, and The Blizzard is my friend
Now a quick P.S. to your neighbors, Washington and California. Please forward this on to them.
Washington, I consider you my home state because I moved to you when I was eleven. And you win for best fall color ever! On my three five-hour roundtrip drives to and from the Seattle airport from Mom’s house in Wapato, I felt like I was driving through a little corner of heaven in your Cascade Mountains. Oohs and aahs flew from my mouth almost constantly. AND, you have a Dairy Queen right next to the temple! Give your Bellevue city planner a big hug for me.
California, what can I say? I have lived in you for 22 years but there is one thing I still can’t get used to. You have a space problem. WAY too many people. Neighbors living way too close to one another. I will hand it to you for some incredible scenery and really good weather but since I know I will never be able to afford a house with an incredible view within your borders, I’m sorry to inform you that we will not be retiring in you. We will decrease your crowd control problem by two sometime within the next decade.
I hope this letter finds all four of you well and happy. Please enjoy the following pictures.
On a bit of a negative note, however, you have a wind problem. Being a larger woman came in handy as I swerved and swayed my way from the hotel room to the car in the gale force winds. Thank goodness we didn’t let grandma walk to the car by herself or we may never have seen her again.
Back to the positive. Your people did a great job on the military burial they gave my dad. It was so touching with the gun salute, the flag, the bugler, the chaplain’s prayer, etc. Thanks so much for that.
Now, Oregon, listen up. Interstate 84 is a really nice freeway so I am very puzzled about the 65 mph speed limit. Please call Nevada and find out how you can increase it to 70 or 75. You may have been the reason we were 45 minutes late for dad’s graveside service and everyone had to stand around (in the wind) waiting for us. It could have been the fact that we lost an hour with the time change but I think your speed limit played a part as well. Please look into that, will you?
I will, however, cut you some slack for the following reasons:
--I was born in you
--you have some pretty scenery
--you have your Dairy Queens well marked and easy to find, and The Blizzard is my friend
Now a quick P.S. to your neighbors, Washington and California. Please forward this on to them.
Washington, I consider you my home state because I moved to you when I was eleven. And you win for best fall color ever! On my three five-hour roundtrip drives to and from the Seattle airport from Mom’s house in Wapato, I felt like I was driving through a little corner of heaven in your Cascade Mountains. Oohs and aahs flew from my mouth almost constantly. AND, you have a Dairy Queen right next to the temple! Give your Bellevue city planner a big hug for me.
California, what can I say? I have lived in you for 22 years but there is one thing I still can’t get used to. You have a space problem. WAY too many people. Neighbors living way too close to one another. I will hand it to you for some incredible scenery and really good weather but since I know I will never be able to afford a house with an incredible view within your borders, I’m sorry to inform you that we will not be retiring in you. We will decrease your crowd control problem by two sometime within the next decade.
I hope this letter finds all four of you well and happy. Please enjoy the following pictures.
Dad's burial in Idaho
Best Fall Color Award goes to Washington!
8 comments:
I was hoping you would post pictures of Dad's burial. When Coy told me you guys were 45 minutes late for it, I wasn't surprised because I had been thinking about it all the way home from Washington myself and I must have calculated at least 15 times that if you left Wapato at 6 a.m., like someone told me your were going to, you wouldn't make it to Burley by 3 p.m. But each time I thought of it, I just brushed it off thinking, "I'm sure they know what they're doing." Why do I do that? I should have called you and told you!!!!
The fall colors in the Blue Mountains in Oregon were breathtaking on our way TO Wapato, and the sky was a most beautiful blue. I think Bren got tired of hearing me exclaim! But nothing was quite as pretty on the way home.
So I quit exclaiming.
Great post! Funny, funny, funny!Please let me know if Oregon, Idaho and California respond. I have a few suggestions I could add for California. I am glad your mom didn't get blown away--I like her. How do I get a few other people to go there---just kidding!
Loved to see your pics. I had a great time visiting with all you guys at grandma's. Miss ya!
You are a very creative writer and I love your blogs. Keep up the good work.
The service looks like it was beautiful, much like my own dads. From this born and bred Idahoan, I will take full credit for the deluxe rest stops, but not for the forever wind!
We were surprised Grandpa Stimpson was being buried in Heyburn! We have found out that Grandma Grace who was buried there just 2 years ago, beside many members of her family, knew him well.
They did grow up together, along with his brother Gail and sister Claudine.
Who would have thought these childhood friends would have grandchildren meet in Virginia, get married and then share great grandchildren?
I hope your mom is doing well.:)
Thanks for the post, but I'm a bit (a very, very large bit) that didn't like the last thing you mentioned. Uh.... you wouldn't want poor Darrin to not have his councilor for the whole term of his presidency, would you? :)
I missed you!Glad you're back in blog-land. ;o)
sorry, but WA ain't got nothin' on PA in the autumn time.
(or VA, MD, NY, and many others.)
though, i COMPLETLEY agree with the rest stops in ID. amazing. how do you think one could attain the digits of their interior designer?
Post a Comment