Sunday, January 9, 2011

One reason I occasionally wish I were a man

The other day I was pondering why it is that I need my alone time way more than Greg does (does he ever?), and it finally occurred to me that it's because he has the ability to be alone EVEN IN A CROWD! He (and men in general--not ALL men, of course) has that enviable, and somewhat unimaginable, ability to totally tune out his surroundings. Which means he does have alone time and frankly, plenty of it. I've never seen anything quite like it.

I'm not mad about this however, just a little envious of the tune out talent. And I really don't wish I were a man hardly ever. That whole making a living thing would be way too stressful.

9 comments:

Chelan said...

I completely agree with you! I'm always so jealous of Adam's ability to tune out on exernal noise and focus. And the more kids I have...the worse it gets for me! But I wouldn't really want to be a man either. Too stressful :-)

Ms. Green Eyes said...

My husband can tune anything and EVERYTHING out. It's a bit ridiculous.

Matt and Melissa said...

My husband can as well...especially when his mother asks him to do something. It is quite a unique talent.

Jamie said...

You're so right, Mom. Kevin's super power is more of tuning out chores than people...If I could sit in a filthy house and not notice that dishes needed to be done, clutter put away, carpet vacuumed and spot-cleaned, floors swept and mopped, and furniture dusted, I'd probably be as happy-go-lucky as my husband usually is all the time! I guess that's why men and women have each other, huh?

Jana Brookes said...

Hey, you've had a job before and taken out the trash, right? I think it would be way easier to be a man! Motherhood, by far, HARDEST JOB ON THE PLANET!!
Even with that said , I still don't want to be a man!
I don't think we can tune out as easy, cause we're so busy having/getting to listen to what our kids need and want.
I totally agree with Jamie, too. We have each other because we both have talents that the other doesn't.

Nicea said...

I just tuned out this whole conversation. So, am I a man or a woman?

annie said...

i can tune out when i'm reading a book. does that count?

Shawn said...

Nicea and Annie: I'm not sure if there is something wrong with you or not but you are women, not men. Got that?

Jana Brookes said...

I thought I might clarify that Sierra is doing really well, and I she's actually pretty fun now. Just having 3 is still a little bit of an adjustment for me. I do love motherhood. We love them all , but some days I just have to look extra hard to find joy in the journey! Don't worry, I find it a lot!