Sunday, February 27, 2011

A couple of things: #1 "They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick," and #2 Comedy of Errors

We had three more convert baptisms this weekend in our ward which totals 8 so far in 2011! That deserves an exclamation point. Another young husband and father will be baptized next Saturday.

As I looked around the full chapel today, I felt this warmth that I have experienced so many times in that same chapel, frequently accompanied by the whispering to my mind "this is right where you belong".

Sometimes I look at my ward family and with barely a stereotypical blonde, blue-eyed Mormon in sight, I wonder if to some other congregations we don't look like a roomful of misfits. There was our friend, a former gang member who married the daughter of one of our former Bishops, passing the sacrament. He asks the best questions in Sunday School. Now he and his wife are taking the temple prep classes. I could give you example after example like this.

I glanced behind me and noticed an investigator sitting with the full-time missionaries who had a huge tattoo on his forearm that read "bad boy". The other arm read "goodfellas" and I thought, you know, this guy's arms could preach a sermon on the struggle we all face day in and day out to be who we want to be. I know from living in this ward for more than 23 years, that the number of converts outweighs the number of "lifers" now. And it is the BEST thing to live among all these wonderful people who are finding what they really need. Seeing the joy and direction the gospel brings into their lives really strengthens me. It helps me separate what is fluff and what is real about the church.

"They that be whole need no physician, but they that are sick." (Matthew 9:12) And since we're all a little sick...

Now for thing #2. Let's just say that the electronic piano and I didn't get along too well in Relief Society today. I had to pinch hit for the migraine-ridden pianist and the hymns that were picked were not ones I could play without some practice time, which I did not have.

Luckily, the piano will play itself IF you push the right buttons. We had just had a great non guilt-producing lesson on living a consecrated life when I took over at the piano. I pushed the "play intro" button and after the intro was over, I thought I pushed the "play verse" button but alas, no sound came out except for the sound of several errant voices from the sisters who sang out anticipating they would be accompanied by the piano. Everyone laughed and I apologized for pushing the wrong button. We tried it again and same result! I kept accidentally pushing the wrong button. Not only would it not play, I pushed a button that took me completely out of "play" mode to where I had to scroll through the numbers until I got to the correct hymn again. A friend in the back began shouting "You can do it, Shawn. Third time's a charm!" Finally, I said to the chorister, let's just leave out the intro and start with the verse so I only have to push one button.

The only thing I can say is that based on the volume of the laughter, I'm pretty sure everyone left with happy hearts.

6 comments:

Anna said...

Great observations...love it!

Anna

Jamie said...

Nice post to read on a Sunday. Thanks, Mom! And, I was laughing inside at your electronic piano fiasco... Classic!

jacob said...

I LOVE U!! Quit doing fun things when I am not there. I also adore our ward! Thanks for posting.

Jana Brookes said...

Come be our pianist so I can have a laugh! You are so cute!
Just got called to be a sunbeam teacher, but not Autumn's, unfortunately. I guess I'll be getting plenty of laughs from the sunbeams now! I have sorta a fellowshipping duty for the team teacher too now and am a bit nervous.

Nicea said...

I can just see you pushing the buttons and making faces and one-liners to the ladies!

Carol Joy said...

Haha, love it. The ward's changed so much that I barely recognize it when I come home. ;) Exciting!!