Another quote from my radio talk doc Edell:
"Oprah, quit worrying so much about your fat butt and do something good."
(Context: he hates it when celebrities come on her show and talk about stuff he thinks they know nothing about, e.g., Jenny McCarthy telling the world (and by world I of course mean Oprah's audience) that vaccinations cause autism in children, and nothing is said about the scientific evidence and no REAL experts are consulted)
Whew! That sentence was very Jane Austin-like, only much easier to understand.
The quote was good though, albeit a little rude.
8 comments:
I don't really agree with Jenny Mc,(nor do I know what context this comment fits in to in regards to your post--I'm pretty sure its just a rant I have.) I'll be honest, but in her defense, why in the world is it not okay for children to now have the chicken pox?
I'm really not THAT educated. But I did write a paper last semester on Immunizations and Autism. The only conclusion that the dozens of medical journals came up with is- there is no conclusion. No proof on either side of the spectrum. In Jenny's defense (and that of a dear friend of mine) some people just need someone/something to blame.
Abbyjane- I think the chicken pox thing is a little weird too. However, there is the rare chance of a severe case in which chicken pox can be dangerous and sometimes fatal. Who'd a thunk!?
(sorry. really not trying to sound like a smarty pants)
No need to apologize here! I agree that some people need someone/something to blame but I agree with Dr. Edell that when these people come on Oprah, whose audience is huge, and put info out there as fact without having anyone from the medical/science community on to give another opinion, they can potentially do a lot of damage if people don't take the time to do their own research. A lot of people have stopped immunizing their kids and I believe the medical community thinks that's dangerous. Aren't immunizations responsible for eradicating polio and didn't thousands of people used to die from some types of measles, etc.? And aren't people dying all the time in some third world countries where immunizations are not available? I think as it stands now, the benefits of immunizations far outway the risks of the so far scientifically unsubstantiated claims that they cause autism. Dr. Edell's point is that oftentimes Oprah throws these things out there without addressing both sides and I can see where that would be very frustrating for someone who knows way more about it than Oprah or Jenny.
i agree with y'all.
and on the subject of not dieting...i'm not dieting. rather, i'm not giving up soda. i gave up that sweet sweet nectar of the gods, but seriously, people, i need SOMEthing to look forward to at work (and going home just doesn't cut it). i'll give it up for lent, i swear.
That's my Annie.
I have long admired Oprah for all the good she's done, but I would like to see her be more balanced on issues like this one. I have a personal beef about celebrity know-it-alls. However, there's probably no better way to get a message out to the average citizen publicly than through a celebrity, given their huge fan base and visibility, provided the information is accurate and well-founded.
What IS the deal with so much autism these days? I haven't looked into it, but it seems that we know so many children who have it right in our own neighborhoods.
WV: nicenabl - contracted form of "nice and able" which defines all the good readers of this Fifties column, which would be me and you, too.
P.S. I like your new blog look and the header pictures that change. Cool.
Thanks, Neesh.
Post a Comment