Where did I go wrong? I feel like such a failure. How could I have not taught you in all these years how awful and pretty much forbidden it is to forget your mother's birthday? I guess I can't be mad at you because I'm sure it's my own fault.
I probably forgot to mention it during labor and delivery because you did shoot out of me faster than all my other kids so I must not have had time. Plus, it was 3:40 a.m. on a cold March day and I was in so much pain that I most assuredly wasn't thinking about AUGUST 27TH right then.
But surely I must have said something during one of the many 2 a.m. feedings or while I was changing all those poopy diapers. I guess you were too young to understand as I held you through your little asthma attacks. Maybe I was just too distracted by your cuteness. You were a cute little thing. Still are.
Remember all those times you made me play catch with you after you got home from kindergarten? I'm not sure but I think I must have taught you then that you would need to remember those times each year when my birthday comes around.
I must have written something like, "Now don't forget Mommy's birthday!" on your fifth birthday card when I gave you that great big ball that you bugged me about for weeks beforehand. Maybe the card got lost.
Don't feel too badly about it because Tanner didn't call until 8:30 in the morning and Jamie called while I was talking to him. But, you know, whatever.
Also, don't be down on yourself about it because I got some other phone calls and cards from friends and I didn't count my birthday greetings on facebook but I think there must have been about 2.3 million of them, or something like that. So don't worry about it.
And really, it's no big deal AT ALL that you called and sang happy birthday to dad on his birthday just 4 days before mine. NO BIG DEAL. Really.
I know you're a newlywed and you are working full time and you just got back from a fun vacation with your in-laws and I saw you a few weeks ago at the family reunion so you've probably got a lot on your mind. And your new little wife is so cute, who could blame you for not being able to think of anything else? In fact you probably wished me a happy birthday at the reunion and I just forgot.
How about at your high school graduation or before you left on your mission? Did I not mention it then either? How about when you got home? No? I've failed you, son.
Oh wait, did I happen to mention while I was helping you get ready for your wedding and buying you that nice suit and everything that you should always make sure and call your mom or send her a card or a gift on her birthday? Did I really forget to teach you then too? Gosh, I'm so sorry. I'm really shaking my head over this one.
Lucky for you there are a couple of reasons I can't be mad at you. For one thing, it appears to have been my own fault. For another, people who saw your wedding pictures tell me you look like Elder Bednar now so if I'm mad at you it sorta makes me feel like I'm mad at an apostle and that's probably not right.
I guess you're off the hook this year.
But now you need to consider yourself taught. I've got it in writing.
Love,
Your forgiving Mother
Born August 27th
9 comments:
that is one of the funniest posts I have ever seen in my life. I love it love it love it! I am sorry that I didn't wish you a happy birthday either though... maybe I better add you as a facebook friend!
you are hilarious! i love you. and - er - happy belated birthday, auntie!
HILARIOUS! Duncan better send you a huge bouquet of flowers or something. And you better post about it too!
Does he know yet, that he has missed this blessed day???! Does he blog. Somebody's got to tell this boy. And yes, we need an update, as to what he does to make it up to you!!
I loved the part about how he sang happy b-day to his dad just 4 DAYS earlier (or whenever it was). You are so cute and funny auntie!! Man, I do hope I never forget your b-day!! You totally have the right, though. He is your SON, you are his MOTHER!!!! I will TEACH my kids. You watch!
p.s. your "you know what" back, really hurt!!!
I WILL be calling you. But tell the truth, didn't my text arrive before Tanner's call? Just wonderin'.
WV: disms, n. the maxims and/or sayings, proverbial in nature, that spew forth from a mother who is shunned by her second son on her birthday when she disses him on her blog. Disms have staying power and are known to be restated, quoted and/or blogged about for centuries. Woe unto the dissed son who prompted the disms.
BUSTED! Ahhhh....hahahah...Oooo Duncan youre in trouble! I will kid you about this forever my brother. This is a no-no...This is about as high as forgetting your own wifes birthday. Now get a freakin calendar and add your family members birthday cause we are growin. Mine is Oct 8 in case you were wondering.
Oh Nicea i think i was going to text Shawn happy birthday before Tanner but he was like no dont do that, i want to be first. Whatever tanner!
Wow..I am baffled at this... Shawn I cant say anything that will comfort you...besides boys are stupid throw rocks at them...Guess i know what we will be doing at Christmas! Love ya....Autumn
got a little tinkle in my panties.
bim keeps asking me what i'm laughing about. oh, my. this is one of the best yet.
WV:caterts, oh, my caterts from laughing so hard. and i don't have a cat.
I LOVE the comments of everyone above. Funny post and funny comments.
Post a Comment