Saturday, April 24, 2010

and THEN she mowed the LAWN

In a ridiculous attempt to allow more time for HIM to work on the kitchen makeover, she mowed the lawn all by herself today. Second time in sixteen years. She also spent a good hour weeding. Then she got embarrassed when she looked in the mirror and saw her beet red face. It wasn't THAT hard. She's not THAT out of shape. And why would anyone get embarrassed when there's no one else around?

She had tried to mow one other time but after several yanks on the starter rope and a near miss of a shoulder dislocation, she realized the mower was unstartable. At least by her. Consequently, she never tried again because she found her inability to start the mower to be a viable excuse.

Until today. She wanted to do it. She pulled on that starter rope with all the power of her 52 year old relief society arms, all the while telling herself to "put yer hips into it!", and that sucker started right up.

Here's the problem. What if HE thinks that she should continue to mow the lawn ALL THE TIME? What if HE figures he's got a good thing goin' and decides to linger even longer over this kitchen project?

Holy cow. What was she thinking?

9 comments:

Lola said...

well, if she does start doing it on a regular basis, she should definitely get payed for it. my weekly salary was $15 for both front and back. you could probably charge more. ya know, inflation and stuff.

p.s. i'm a tad jealous that you have a yard to mow in the first place. my yard consists of various cement boxes. one day...

Nicea said...

I thought this was going to be a post about Jamie and all the things she did for you so you could spend more time with GS (GrandSon). Imagine my surprise! I, on the other hand, am imagining your Relief Society arms.

Lola: So funny! Great idea, though.

WV: comic*

*I just have two things to say:

1. cool how you two funny people get the WV "comic"

2. I thought all WVs were not real words. I coulda sworn that *comic* is a real word.

Natalie said...

Ok, Shawn, I confessed to Nicea yesterday that I read your blog regularly because it never fails to make me laugh out loud . However, I feel that to make continual comments that consist of the phrase LOL! glaringly identify my lack of cleverness. So suffice it to say...I love what you write......even more because you have those RS arms.

JCW said...

This was so funny! I think the key is (from what Roger pulls cleaning the kitchen) is to do a 70% good job and take forever doing it...thereby making you seem competent but not the premier lawn mower of the family. Next time it needs to be mowed you could offer and he'll probably say he'll just do it himself. But you both know you COULD do it if you wanted to : )

Sherry Carpet said...

why has no one suggested bikini lawn mowing to her? she'll get a lot more air flow to her face and be less likely to pass out.

just don't do it while HE is around, *obviously.* he'll never get his jobs done.

Amanda Moore said...

Yay for "she!" I'm with Lola, definitely start charging. You can add on additional fees such as $2 for "looking amazing while I mow."

Jana Brookes said...

I agree with Lola about being jealous of having your own yard. That's all Logan talks about.
I also agree with Krista on the bikini mow. Then he may tell you he doesn't want you to do it cause he doesn't want the neighbors stealing peaks at his hot wife!!!
If that doesn't work, then i guess I just gotta agree with you. What were you thinking??!! No, I think it's sweet that you wanted to help out, way to go Shawn!

Shawn said...

Speaking of laughing out loud, you guys all made me laugh with your comments!

AND...I will definitely wear a bikini when I have the urge to make all the neighbors vomit.

annie said...

and this is why i love our family