Recently the Pearl and I had an adventure. The Pearl is my car, short for the Pearl of great price. We drove to Wapato to see mom and my brother. And to meet Nicea there. The trip on a good day is supposed to take about 12 hours. Last Friday was not a good day. I've only just now recovered sufficiently to post about it.
Ten miles north of Redding there was a 20 car pile up which stopped all us I-5 spring breakers in our tracks. After waiting at the 76 station for nearly 2 hours, the Pearl and I took hiway 299 west. Let me just caution you that if you criss cross your way across California, you will not only fail to make it to Washington in 12 hours, you will barely make it out of northern California and probably end up staying the night in Grants Pass, OR like the Pearl and me. Shall I say that perhaps the scenery was worth it? Perhaps.

These next two pics are for my Halverson, Richardson and Diaz peeps.
(memories...light the corners of my mind...)





The Pearl and her driver were badly spooked when they had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting a deer. The Pearl was so upset she lost all of her passenger seat contents.

Upchucked all over the floor. I was SO ticked that I had not put the lid on the chocolate covered raisins but I HAD put the lid on the carrot and celery sticks. That's just not right.

Ahhhh. Never have I been so fond of a Holiday Inn Express. A mere 12 hours and one live deer later.

Finally, my sweet mama's kitchen.
(following an additional 8 hour drive the next day)

Enjoyed this view of Mt. Shasta on the 12 hour, no deer return trip.

And did you know that if you don't blink while you drive through it, you can find a bean and cheese burrito even in Dorris, CA?
7 comments:
shutup! pictures of gresham! what a treat. a trip up north sounds so lovely about now. sorry about the traffic. lame-o.
glad you had fun with your mama. miss that fine lady.
great post.
ooh! the pictures are appreciated. i think YOU are a pearl of a lot of price. and you look like you've reached nirvana in that header picture. pure enlightened bliss.
WV: woospr. i have to woospr or i'll wake up my babes.
The great Northwest HALLAH! I think the Northern California and the rest of the Northwest must be the land that God loved most. You know like John. Northwest the beloved.
Can I get in trouble for believing that?
Very honored to be one of your Halverson peeps. :) Thanks for all the pictures, and I would still have eaten those raisins. Either that or I would have just hit the deer so they didn't spill. Sorry Bambi's dad! ;)
WV: recome. As in, I want to recome to there.
well, i'm not a halverson, diaz, or richardson, but still love to see all those pics. i have some very fond memories of driving from ca to wa to got to g&g's. though, i don't think we ever stopped in dorris for a burrito.
glad the pearl survived without deer guts on the grill, like what happened to us once. at least pearls contents that she lost were not liquid! she seems to have been a pretty nice companion for your trip. bet she didn't kick you in the back of your seat, not even once, the whole drive!
love the picture of your sweet momma's kitchen the best. she's awesome. i wish i could have gone up. should've hitched a ride with neesh and let my kids kick her in the back all the way up, huh?!! SO kidding neesh!!!! :)
Oh how I miss Oregon! Thanks Shawn! Someday we will make it back up there and then you can visit us on the way, though yesterday Brian asked if I could live in Yakima??
i liked those pics, too. was that multnomah falls? i have no idea how to spell that.
b-hal, i believe utah is the promised land...only those who were super-righteous in the pre-earth life are blessed to live there.
also, i love that kitchen. i love the sweet lady it belongs to even more (many muches more).
Such beautiful scenery!
Post a Comment