Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A couple new gigs


Oakland Donor Center

I've been dying a slow death from housework and cooking.  So now I have filled up my days to the point of asking, "What have I done?" A couple of weeks ago, I became a volunteer for the American Red Cross in Oakland. Consequently, the past two weeks I have driven to Oakland three times each week--once for my temple shift and twice for the Red Cross.   Then, two days ago, I added a part time job at Frye's Printing only because Kevin Frye, whom we will call the owner because he is, is swamped with work and told me I could choose my own hours and get away whenever I need to.  Perfect job for a girl like me.  

See that chair against the wall near the red folder on the table?  That's my new office.  And that's my red folder with all the answers to life's questions, or just my papers with instructions in case I forget what I'm supposed to do.  I sit in that chair or walk around until a woozy blood donor comes into the room, whereupon I jump up and treat him as if he has just saved a life or something, which he has, actually.  

Every 2 seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.  DID YOU KNOW THAT?!

"Coffee, tea, or me?" I say. 

"May I get you something to drink?" is what I really say.  Some of them let me serve them while some prefer to get it themselves, you know, the ones who were raised correctly.  I make sure they sit for 10 or 15 minutes and eat snacks and drink juice or coffee or tea or water or hot chocolate, and make sure they don't pass out or throw up or.... I talk to them if they want to, or just keep an eye on them if they prefer to read or whatever.  If it's slow, I can read too, but only if there is no one there.  I don't get much reading done because it's fairly steady.  Thanking them profusely for donating is the key. I'm pretty good at that part.  The Red Cross wants them back.  Over and over again.

It's nice to get out of the house and be around things that make mostly pleasant noises.  The silence of my furniture was killing me.  But now I need to find the right balance and not over schedule myself because my furniture misses me just a little, especially my reclining LA-Z-BOY.


 

No comments: