Tuesday, May 25, 2010

weight gain makes you special

This was me yesterday out saving lives as usual.

Except he's a man with a mustache and glasses and I'm a woman with peach fuzz who squints. Other than that, we look pretty much the same and we were both giving blood with the Alyx machine, which I had never heard of until yesterday. Apparently, because I am a woman big and tall, I qualify for this extra helpful method which can actually harvest double the amount of red blood cells from your body and help save more than one life! FINALLY, a fantastic reason to be big and tall.

In order to be a "special" donor like me, a woman must be at least 5' 5" and weigh at least 150 lbs. I happen to be 5' 9 1/2" and a pound or two or more, or way more, over 150. This means I have adequate blood volume and can give more of it away than a teeny tiny person can.

But what it really means is that I am more valuable than runway models and Hollywood actresses.

9 comments:

JCW said...

You are so funny!

I loved your talk yesterday, you wrote it just for me. I want a copy of it you feel like sharing it! I collect talks about "dealing" and "enduring" and that type of thing : )

Em said...

SO TRUE! I fit into that category too, except that I'm contaminated and can never give blood and save lives. I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way I guess- by becoming a Dr. :o)

Brittani said...

we all already knew you were more valuable than them!

annie said...

you also provide far more entertainment than they do.

Jana Brookes said...

Is there a "very special" donor category? For those who weigh a LOT more? I'd probably belong there. Course I don't really count right now, do I?
I'm so proud of you for going out there and saving lives, and with such a fun looking roomie. You are so noble, unlike those in Hollywood and on the runways!

Jana Brookes said...

Oh, and what is the yellow bag hanging next to the two red ones, that I assume or the blood?!!
Did you get a cool shirt?

Shawn said...

Jana: no cute shirt and I really don't know what the yellow bag is because I didn't even notice it! I don't ask questions, I just let them suck my blood.

Jana Brookes said...

Ha ha! Well maybe it's better we don't know what the yellow bag is! Glad you could go out and save MORE than one life!

Nicea said...

I now fit in that category again. Arrrgh. Today I only ate 1/2 a package of red licorice (okay, maybe 3/4.....or maybe all but the two pieces I shared with my only student who showed up for B3) and one Almond Joy. And one Diet Pepsi.

But I did have oatmeal and raisins for breakfast and a salad minus the salad dressing for lunch (well minus half the salad dressing).

And for dinner, two tomatoes sprinkled with a little parmesan.

Oh, but the night is young. There's still plenty of time to eat. (WHO SAID THAT?!!! LALALALALALALALA!!! I CAN'T HEARRRR YOUUUU...LALALALALALALALA!)

Another great post, Shawn. What was your talk about in church? May I have a copy? Via email?