Wow! As if I hadn't had a stressful enough week already, today I made the Death List of one of my students. And not only did I make the list of fifteen or so names, I topped it! That's right. First name on the list.While checking out all the computer screens of my little SIXTH graders, I glanced down next to Brelen's computer and there was a sheet of paper with Death List written on it. Mine was the first name on the list. I was in good company, though. His mom and dad were listed about half way down. I felt pretty special.
In this day and age, you can't let something like that go so I discussed it with the young college student who helps me and we decided that someone needed to talk to him. Long story short, our after school program coordinator came and took him down to the assistant principal's office. You should have seen his face! He was sooooooo scared when he left my classroom. I felt bad because I think he's a pretty nice kid and I haven't had much trouble with him. Maybe it's because he stays busy plotting my demise. I have written his name on the board a couple of times in 2 months for talking too much.
Looks like he will be suspended--probably for a day or two. They told me that I should never let things like that go so I'm glad I didn't. Even though I may be dead by Monday. Some things are worth it.
I just hope it doesn't hurt.
11 comments:
The TOP?! Wow, sounds like a very sensitive boy. Good thing you were careful though. Like you said, can't take those things lightly these days.
Hope you have fun with Tanner and Autumn!
I was just talking to my mom today about the frustration I face and about the post I made on my blog about it. She says pretty much what you said, that she still has kids too, we are just older and complaining about different things. I guess this is her payback (though she didn't say that). I ALWAYS tell her about once a week that I am SO SO SO SO SO SO SO sorry for everything I have EVER done to her. I'll never be able to apologize enough, or say thank you enough for all she's done, but I guess I can just keep trying!
I'm glad you caught the li'l bastage. I had a similar situation here at Penn State in a Spanish class a couple of years ago. Nothing like a death threat to wake you up!
I wonder if my any of my patients have death lists. I think a dentist would be near the top....
Good job on handling it well. Have fun with Tanner and Autumn.
Kevin, thanks for reminding me! (Now where's my pen...)
So did you get to talk to him at all before the sent him home? Or find out if the kid was just joking or if he really has big issues that need to be dealt with?
I asked him why his parents were on the list and he said, "Because they're mean." When I was talking with him and the asst. principal, she said that he seems to have a lot of anger inside and she is going to set him up with an appt. with the school psychologist. I'm wondering if I should ask to have him switched to a different class now. There's one teacher who has no control over her class so he could probably act however he wanted in there and he'd be happy as a clam.
Whoa, a bad week gets badder. Shawn, that's scary! And I feel sorry for the kid, too, being so angry at age 12.
Richard, you can borrow my pen. I like MY dentist. You truly crack me right up!
Kevin, don't worry. As the one and only Dr. Kevipoo you're probably safe.
Jana, what could YOU possibly have done to necessitate apologizing to your mom?
Neesh-just being a kid in and of it's self is enough to apologize for! I just see how my kids drive me nuts, absolutely bonkers some days, and she had twice as many kids as me and half the help!!
i was a little rotten in 5th grade (if you haven't already heard the stories) and a tiny bit in high school. She says I have probably the least amount of apologizing to do, but my eyes have just been opened to all the things that having more than one kid means. Fighting, fighting, and more fighting. I never looked forward to the days of refereeing, BUT THEY ARE HERE :<
Maybe one day I can look back on it and think it wasn't that bad, but I think it is going to take many years of my brain shutting down to forget this! Not quite as fast as the labor pain forgetting part of your brain?! How does that work.
Just let me say this also, I do love my kids though! They are just being normal kids. I think I was just having a few stressful weeks when James was gone, and hours have been cut at smiths so I have been working a little less. So that cuts out some of my sanity time. I guess I just think that my mom probably never had any sanity time, so I am sorry to her for that.
K- Shawn, i'll stop hijacking your blog to vent on!
Nah, he shouldn't go to that class with no control. He needs to learn to deal with it eventually. Maybe he should be in another classroom, but I would imagine he'd need one with discipline.
You git 'em Mama Glenn! I wouldnt have let that go either. Be a fighter, I mean it is your life on the line here. Don't give up. I hope today was better. Miss ya.
Post a Comment