Tuesday, September 23, 2008

California Education?

My new roll sheet for my 6th grade homework class came to me yesterday looking like this:

Laura, Gillis
Davon, Gresham
Alejandra, Gularte
Nathan, Hixon
etc.

Notice that the format is first name - comma - last name. The girl who made them up for us is an employee at the middle school who graduated last year from the high school on campus. Interesting...... I guess I shouldn't talk. I can't always help the 6th graders with their math homework. Usually I can at the beginning of the year but then they start getting into the hard stuff that I have forgotten. But in my defense, I graduated from high school 33 years ago. (The math teachers lied to us; I DO NOT use math every day!) I made it all the way through BYU without a math class. At that time you could take a foreign language instead. I still don't speak Spanish either, however. Lucky for me, when I can't help the students with their math, there is always a smart math student in the class who can.
As for my new roll sheet........it works.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

You'd be surprised. I bet you use math more often than you realize. If I had time, I'd let you know how often you use it. You definitely use the problem solving skills acquired from math all the time.